VIP KID FAQ’s
- What is VIPKID?
VIPKID is a Chinese based company that offers virtual English language instructional sessions to Chinese students. These sessions are taught by native English speakers and are 25-28 minutes in length. Teachers deliver instructional content through a lesson PowerPoint, the use of props, and a ESL technique known as “total physical response.” Want to learn more about the history company or the details of the job? Check out some of the other articles on this site or feel free to e-mail me any questions you have at firstname.lastname@example.org
I am currently a teacher for VIPKID full-time and LOVE it 🙂 I’m happy to share my knowledge of the job with others!
- What are the minimum requirements for a job with VIPKID?
-A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline
-Access to a laptop or desktop with webcam and audio capability
-A stable internet connection
- Is VIPKID a part time or full time position?
Teaching with VIPKID can be part-time OR full-time job depending on your career goals! Please be aware that your success with VIPKID depends on how well you teach your sessions and the feedback you get from parents! View every session as a possibility to land a repeat booking. Once you show off your talent and skills to parents and students, they will make you their primary VIPKID teacher!
- What are the hours like?
The hours that are most in demand by parents are referred to as “peak, peak” times, which are 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. EST during the week. “Peak times” (also popular hours) are 5:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. EST during the week. There is also a demand for teachers to teach through the night and early morning on the weekend, as the students are off from school. Remember, you set your own hours and schedule!
- What is the pay like?
Your “base pay” depends upon 2 factors- your credentials & your performance on the demo lesson. The salary ranges from 7-9 dollars per 30- minute session. However, there is a 1 dollar per session participation bonus for starting/ending class on time, as well as a one-dollar bonus for teaching 45 classes a month. You also can earn a two-dollar bonus per session for teaching last minute classes (these are sessions that are booked within 24 hours of starting). So when all is said and done, you can essential earn between 14 and 24 dollars an hour- pretty amazing right?
- How do you get paid? Direct deposit usually around the 15th of each month
- How often do you get paid? Once a month
- Is there a dress code? VIPKID used to require teachers to wear an orange shirt but they have done away with this policy. Any solid color shirt (logo free) will do.
- Do I have to lesson plan? NO! VIPKID creates the lesson PowerPoints for every lesson!
- Do I need teaching experience or a teacher’s certificate in order to be considered for a job with VIP KID?
NO! Experience with children (such as teaching, nannying, tutoring, coaching, etc.) is preferred but NOT required.
- How long does the application process take?
This is really up to you and how quickly you want to move through each of the steps. If you are motivated to get everything completed, you can finish in as little as a week
- What does the application process look like?
Please visit my application process article for detailed information the process. I offer free coaching along with tips/tricks to successfully get you hired and prepared to teach your very first class! E-mail me at email@example.com with any questions you may have 🙂
Here is a brief overview of the application process
- Submit resume and headshot (be sure you meet the minimum requirements, see above)
- Complete interview and live demo lesson
- Complete training modules and a quiz on VIPKID’s curriculum, standards, and policies
- Complete Mock 1 and possibly a Mock 2 lesson
- Upload required documents such as your transcript confirming your Bachelor’s degree, W-9 form, and 3 photos for your teacher profile
- Open your schedule and start teaching!
- How do I apply?
You can apply by clicking HERE
Already applied? Shoot VIPKID an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know Kristen Whelahan referred you! I coach and support prospective applicants through the process (completely free). Using a referring teacher (also known as a coach) may increase your chance of being hired by the company! E-mail me at email@example.com if you have any questions or want to learn more about VIPKID!
- Okay I’ve applied…but I’m still waiting for a response!
VIPKID is typically very good at keeping you updated via e-mail throughout the application process! If you do not receive a response in a few days, check your SPAM folder.
- What about benefits such as health insurance?
When you are hired as a VIP KID teacher, you are considered to be an independent contractor. You are basically in business for yourself, which is pretty amazing! That being said, the company does not offer health insurance or benefits of any kind.
- Will I need to pay taxes?
Yes! At the end of the year, VIPKID will send you a 1099 from and you will need to file taxes on your own or with the help of an accountant. It is recommended that you set aside 30% of what you earn in order to be prepared for tax time!
- What is the breakdown of a lesson session?
A session is 25-28 minutes long and includes a warm-up activity, teaching of the main content, and a closing song. Both the teacher and student are able to draw and circle directly on the lesson PowerPoint. You will have 5 minutes after your session ends to write feedback to the parents regarding the student’s performance.
- What materials will I need in order to successfully teach the lessons?
This depends on the student and their learning style. The PowerPoint itself may be enough to teach the lesson well and keep the student engaged. However, many teachers use props to help effectively teach the lesson content, along with gestures and facial expressions.
- I’m officially hired! How do I go about getting bookings?
First, you will open the time slots that you work for your schedule. They can be different each day and you can cancel open time slots as long as they aren’t booked yet. When you are just starting out, you will want to dedicate some extra effort into marketing yourself in order to draw attention to your teaching profile. See my marketing article for more details!
- Does VIPKID offer professional development to its teachers?
Yes!! There are a ton of FREE online workshops that are hosted through the company’s teacher portal. VIPKID believes in providing its teachers with the necessary tools to continuously strengthen their instruction!